Accommodation reinforces the way that currently do things by making it easier or faster, while REAL innovation takes us beyond what we’re currently doing and into new territory.
Here’s how to drive real REAL innovation:
- IDENTIFY an emerging trend or technology that is here today but the full implications are not known yet. i.e. AI, Big Data, Gene Editing, etc.
- CHALLENGE the baseline assumptions about this issue and the changes it will bring. This is where you go beyond the original intent of the technology and try to imagine the unintended consequences AND unrealized opportunities that it holds.
- EXPLORE the broader implications (social, political, economic, etc.) of this technology on the future as a whole. What needs, desires, challenges, and opportunities, arise within the broader context? This reveals the hidden potential that most people won’t spot.
Often the difference between innovation and accommodation isn’t in the technology itself, but in HOW we think about it and use it.
3 Ways I Can Help You Right Now:
- Get a Free Copy of my Book! Learn the top 3 skills that will equip you to create the future on YOUR terms. Get a FREE digital copy of my latest book, The 3 Skills You Must Have to Create the Future You Want to See
- Take 33% off The Future 3 Skills Builder Course Series! Master the 3 Skills quicker and with greater confidence by enrolling in, The Future 3: Skills Builder Course Series!
- Earn Your Official Certificate in Strategic Foresight from The University of Tennessee! Learn the same skills that innovators, industry disruptors, and change-makers have used to guide and shape the kind of future they wanted to see. All while earning your Certificate in Strategic Foresight from, Haslam College of Business, University of Tennessee, when you enroll in The Foresight Academy!